When the days get shorter and the nights get colder, that can only mean one thing – Christmas time is right around the corner! And of course, with a new season comes new holiday décor and entertaining items for the home. If you’re looking for festive decorations to match the season’s holiday cheer, JCPenney has you covered – and all at a great value. Home design director for JCPenney, Karen Wertz, shares the must-have items and top trends customers can expect to find at JCPenney this season.
JCP: Karen, thanks for chatting with us about holiday home décor trends. What inspired this season’s collection at JCPenney?
KW: Our holiday décor collection is inspired by all the wonderful traditions this time of year. Whether its decorating the tree, counting down the days to Christmas with an advent calendar, baking cookies for Santa or setting the table with that special Christmas tabletop, I guarantee this collection has the right product for you. Growing up, my family would decorate our Christmas tree together. We’d always listen to “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” and “White Christmas” and my mom would make my brother and me Shirley Temples — with extra cherries — while my dad helped us place the star on top of the tree. The team and I were inspired to create holiday home décor that evokes those warm and nostalgic memories. We want these items to become part of our customer’s holiday traditions with their families.
JCP: What are some of the nostalgic decorating trends that we’re showcasing this season?
KW: This year’s assortment has really been elevated to whole new level. We have all the holiday décor staples you need with some fun updates to add to complement your existing seasonal décor. Some of my favorites include:
- Vintage inspired signs – The popular farmhouse décor trendis warm, cozy and full of charm and character. You’ll find lots of farmhouse-inspired looks in our holiday décor this season. A great way to incorporate this trend is with our vintage inspired Christmas signs. These look great inside or by your front door. Evoking a simpler time, I’m loving our tin Christmas tree farm and reindeer rides signs. Our rustic wood and galvanized metal “JOY” sign really makes a statement and be sure to check out the Christmas-inspired wood signs in our Peyton and Parker holiday capsule collection – they couldn’t be more adorable!
- Yuletide table top – Families often have the tradition of setting their tables with a special festive tableware set that they bring out each Christmas. We’ve introduced a new tabletop collection within our seasonal North Pole Trading Co.™ brand called Yuletide Joy. It has the perfect combination of classic, hand-painted Christmas trees with a fresh, modern It’s so easy to create an amazing holiday tablescape by adding a few pieces on your dining table, along with some of the collection’s beautiful table linens – and voila, you’re all ready for friends and family to gather together.
- Collectible nutcrackers & Santas – Talk about a holiday tradition — outside of ornaments, nutcrackers and Santas are one of the most popular holiday décor collectibles. lf you’re looking to add to your ever-growing collection, you won’t be disappointed with our vast assortment of options. This year, my favorite nutcracker is our drummer nutcracker with his regal red cape. He’s the perfect addition to any collection and you can create a whole line-up of them on the mantel.When it comes to Santas, the bigger the better! JCPenney carries a 36” Santa – all decked out in his winter white woodlands attire, and he is perfect for the foyer. Who doesn’t want to be greeted by Santa when they come home? Whether your décor leans more whimsical or more traditional, we have Santas in all colors and sizes to coordinate with any theme.
- Seasonal sparkle – Using a contemporary take on holiday décor, we infused an ice blue, silver and white color scheme throughout many of our traditional Christmas decorations and ornaments. Customers can carry this sophisticated theme throughout their house with silver sequin reindeer, soft gold caped nutcrackers, white fur Santa figurines, silver and blue flocked Christmas garland and more. Not to mention, greeting your guests with a pre-lit silver wreath is an elegant statement for any front door.
- Holly Jolly – Add some fun and joy into your traditional holiday décor with whimsical pieces from our North Pole Trading Co.’s Holly Jolly collection. Bright and playful, the collection brings happy vibes to any home. The enchanting elves, silly Santas, cheerful colors and playful patterns create a quirky, festive winter wonderland. The elves and the gnomes from this collection are my favorite must-haves this year.
JCP: Those sound like some fantastic options. What are some tips for hosting and entertaining over the holidays?
KW: One thing that always goes hand-in-hand with the holidays is cooking. No matter if you’re throwing a neighborhood party or cooking for a quiet night in with the family, JCPenney has endless options for the kitchen. The Cooks Signature 5.5 QT Round Dutch Oven is perfect for preparing your favorite roast. The 100 percent cast iron oven complete with a heavy bottom, secure lid and signature golden knob is built to last for years to come. This pot is beautiful enough to go straight from the stove to the kitchen table.
If you’re in the market for a different kind of kitchen accessory, the Cooks Fast Pot JR. 2 QT. Multi Cooker is the perfect appliance for parties and holiday get-togethers. It allows you to cook your favorite meals up to 70 percent faster than conventional cooking methods, leaving more time to socialize with family and friends. Bonus – it’s complete with dishwasher safe parts.
JW: Thanks again for talking with us today. Any other tips for our customers?
KW: Our holiday décor and entertaining items also make great gifts! The plaid appetizer plates and stackable mug set from our Peyton and Parker collection are the perfect hostess gift and who wouldn’t love a beautiful candle or cozy throw blanket from the collection? An advent calendar or Santa cookie plate make a special gift for kids – and kids at heart.