July 24-28, JCPenney associates across the Company are celebrating Spirit Week, a time for our teams to have fun and renew their warrior spirit prior to the busy back-to-school season.
Spirit Week was born from the minds of JCPenney associates four years ago – a time when the JCPenney warriors were just beginning their grass roots effort to restore Company culture from the ground up. The warriors created Spirit Week to unite our teams and encourage associates to fight for the resurgence of JCPenney to its rightful place as a retail industry leader. The first Spirit Week was so successful that it has become an annual tradition that associates look forward to each July.
Our fourth annual Spirit Week kicked off last Sunday with a special event just for our associates. After our stores closed for business that day, many stores reopened an hour later for an exclusive associate-only appreciation event to thank our employees for all they do throughout the year. Store leadership took over checkout and customer service duties so associates could enjoy a night of fun, refreshments, shopping with colleagues and an enhanced associate discount.
On Monday, the home office hosted an energizing pep rally to get associates pumped up for the Company’s upcoming back-to-school season. The rally – which was simulcast live to all stores, support centers and supply chain facilities across the nation – featured a host of special speakers, including Chairman and CEO Marvin Ellison, EVP of Stores Joe McFarland, EVP and Chief Marketing Officer Marci Grebstein and more. Plus, to commemorate the Company’s new ‘Black Friday in July’ promotion on July 28-29, we even had a special appearance from the one and only Kris Kringle himself (who bore a striking resemblence to EVP and Chief Merchant John Tighe).
Other Spirit Week events this week include:
- Tuesday, ‘Bold and Beautiful Day’ – In honor of Sephora inside JCPenney and The Salon by InStyle, associates are encouraged to embrace the beauty in themselves and others by wearing bright, bold colors.
- Wednesday, ‘Active Day’ – A nod to the Company’s active apparel initiative, associates will sport activewear, team apparel and athletic footwear.
- Thursday, ‘Golden Rule Day’ – The Golden Rule is woven into everything we do, and associates are encouraged to pass on acts of kindness and inspire others while wearing yellow.
- Friday, ‘Black Friday in July’ – In recognition of this new marketing event, teams across the Company will grill and chill in their favorite holiday attire at Christmas-in-July-themed parties.
- Saturday, ‘Localization Day’ – Stores nationwide will show their appreciation to shoppers by hosting local in-store events that resonate with their customers.