This Earth Month, we are proud to announce that JCPenney has been recognized by two major partners for our environmental efforts in 2022.
2023 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
JCPenney was named a 2023 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year winner for Sustained Excellence from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy. This award is reserved for ENERGY STAR partners demonstrating outstanding leadership, year after year. Winners are selected from a network of thousands of ENERGY STAR partners.
Each year, the ENERGY STAR program honors a select group of businesses and organizations that have made outstanding contributions in the transition to a clean energy economy. ENERGY STAR award winners lead their industries in the production, sale and adoption of energy-efficient products, homes, buildings, services and strategies. These efforts are essential to fighting the climate crisis, protecting public health and creating a clean energy future for everyone.
REPREVE® Champions of Sustainability
JCPenney has also been recognized by Unifi, Inc., the makers of REPREVE® and one of the world’s leading innovators in recycled and synthetic yarns, as a recipient of the sixth annual Champions of Sustainability award for the third year in a row. The award recognizes brand, textile and retail partners that have demonstrated a true commitment to supporting a more sustainable world.
Since our partnership with REPREVE began, JCPenney has recycled a total of 59 million plastic bottles to be made into fiber for new apparel, footwear, home goods and other consumer products. Protecting our planet and preserving our resources are a shared responsibility, and we are so proud of our continued partnership with Unifi, Inc. which plays a major role in reducing our environmental impact.
Unifi, Inc. is a global textile solutions provider and one of the world’s leading innovators in manufacturing synthetic and recycled performance fibers. Through REPREVE®, one of Unifi’s proprietary technologies and the global leader in branded recycled performance fibers, Unifi has transformed more than 30 billion plastic bottles into recycled fiber for consumer products. REPREVE is the earth-friendly solution to making your favorite brands more environmentally responsible. For more information about REPREVE, visit www.repreve.com.
Reduce your own environmental impact at home
Earth Month is nearly over, but the work to create a greener world continues year-round! Follow these tips from JCPenney experts to make an impact at a personal level.
- When purchasing new electric items for around the house, look for products that meet the ENERGYSTAR standards which reduce the amount of electricity needed to preform and helps you save on utility bills and energy usage.
- Blackout curtains can help you reduce energy and save on utility bills.
- Opt for cloth napkins and cleaning rags that can be reused instead of single-use paper towels.
With your clothing:
- Stop the wash! Jeans are not intended to be washed unless dirty. Washing your jeans less not only lengthens the lifespan of the jeans but it saves energy and wastewater.
- Wash your clothes on the “cold” setting. This not only helps preserve screen prints/graphics and reduces chances of shrinkage it also decreases energy needed for washing, saving you and the planet.
- When shopping for new clothes, opt for clothes that are made with preferred sustainable materials like REPREVE.
In your day-to-day life:
- Leave the hanger at the store! JCPenney offers to keep hangers to be repurposed or recycled.
- When available, buy salon products in bulk sizes to save on packaging.
- For smaller meals, use the air fryer. This reduces the energy needed to heat up a large oven.